Diving & Snokeling
@ Marlin Lodge
The warm topical waters surrounding the Bazaruto Archipelago are home to some of nature’s finest marine life. A spectacular variety of fish, coral, marine mammals and plants wait to be explored by divers and snorkellers.
Led by a resident PADI qualified diving instructor, diving sites and depths are varied along all levels of diving experience. We also have an on-site diving centre with all the necessary equipment.
Water temperatures range from 28°C in summer (30°C between December and February) to 22°C during the winter months.
The various dive sites can be reached with our 27-ft catamaran Novacat, equipped to accommodate 8 divers and their equipment.
All dives take place at locations as determined by Marlin Lodge’s dive instructor.
* 2 Mile Reef: A narrow channel separates Benguerua Island from its northern neighbour, Bazaruto Island. The reef is 2 miles east of the channel and provides a variety of dive locations with abundant hard and soft corals, reef fish, turtle, reef shark, moray eel, grouper, stingray and devil ray. Seasonal whale sharks and manta rays can also be seen.
Duration: Three hours. Depth: 10 - 20 metres.
* The Wreck (Home Reef): Marlin Lodge’s own manmade reef, (a sunken yacht and tractor) is approximately 800 m from the lodge and ideal for novice divers. A variety of reef and pelagic fish species can be seen here.
Duration: One hour. Depth: 7 - 12 metres.
* Aquarium (Low tide only): A pool within 2 Mile Reef, where an amazing variety of fish and spectacular hard and soft coral offer the finest diving for beginners.
Duration: Three hours. Depth: 1 - 8 metres.
* 5 Mile Reef: Located five miles from Benguerua Island, this reef provides divers with the opportunity to sight pelagic fish. Nurse sharks have also been spotted there.
Duration: Three hours. Depth: 8 - 20 metres.
* Magaruque Express (Drift Dive): Located off the Island of Magaruque, where a strong current provides a brisk drift dive.
Duration: Two hours. Depth: 6 - 12 metres.
* Cabo San Sebastio: Ideal for advanced divers, this reef is known for sightings of the seasonal whale shark and manta ray. Schools of pelagic kingfish and barracuda may be seen as well as stingray, shark, potato bass, moray eel and turtles.
Duration: Full day (2 dives). Depth: 20 - 40 metres.
* Pipe Reef (House Reef): Approximately a mile from Marlin Lodge, this spot is ideal for novice divers and popular for night dives. The rare Spanish dancer nudibranch and frogfish can be seen here.
Duration: Two hours. Depth: 8 - 12 metres.
Seasonal Whale Watching at Marlin Lodge
The Humpback Whales feed in the polar waters and give birth in tropical waters in winter. This Baleen whale can reach 16 meters and weigh 36000 kilograms.Whales have been spotted East of the reefs of the Bazaruto Archipelago.We are offering whale watching tours for our guests.A minimum of four guests would be required per boat. The cost, inclusive of tax, is $95.00 per person. If there are fewer guests than the minimum number, the normal boat hire and fuel rates will apply. The trip duration would be approximately 3 hours. Please contact us if you are interested in this unique seasonal excursion or for further information. Dates: July - September.
Please download the Diving & Snorkelling menu, rates and information below, or from the download page. Or contact us direct on the enquiry form for a detailed reply.
|Telephone||00 27 82 780 3931|